Friday, October 9, 2009

Week Thirteen: Injury Report, "Put a steak on it!"

(Click to make larger)

It was a bad week, plain and simple. After completing 16 miles two weeks ago my left leg was feeling some serious pain along the outside part of the thigh down to the knee. I ran the half marathon as well but felt something off, days after the race. On tuesdays I was back on the road for a 4 mile run, but the second I started moving I felt a pain behind my knee going to my left thigh. This was in combination to a soreness from my achilles up to my calf, also on my left leg. I turned around and headed back to the apartment with some questions for the interweb.

Possible problems:

Hip Bursitis
Inflammation of the bursa over the outside of the hip joint, so-called trochanteric bursitis, can cause pain with hip movement. Treatment of hip bursitis is often effective, but the condition has a problem of coming back and sometimes becoming a persistent problem.

Iliotibial Band Syndrome
The iliotibial band is a thick, fibrous band that spans from the hip to the shin; it lends stability to the knee joint, and is attached to muscles of the thigh. ITBS is caused when the band becomes inflamed and tender.

Achilles tendonitis is a painful condition of the tendon in the back of the ankle. Left untreated, Achilles tendonitis can lead to an increased risk of Achilles tendon rupture.

I figured I had a combination of a slight IT Band strain, and achilles tendonitis, though after watching an episode of CSI miami, I thought I might have been poisoned by a night club owner who injects his victims with a venomous syrum that brings on paralisis. Hopefully I can rest and get past this hiccup.

No comments:

Post a Comment