Friday, October 9, 2009

Week Fourteen: The Asian Rubdown


I was determined to fix my left leg with a sports massage and Jane's Apotherapy and Massage was my destination. I'm a newbie to the world of massages, having only experienced one while staying in Dublin, an ambient waterfall of soft rubs and sweet accents, and I had a feeling this was going to be a little different. When I got there I was greeted by an asian woman standing about 5' 3" who looked me up and down like a hawk stalking her prey. I had the option of a swedish massage or a deep tissue massage and after she used the word "fix" in referring to my leg if she performed a deep tissue massage, I was in. She asked 1-4, 1 being the area that hurt the most, what I wanted fixed. I started with my left hip (1) and worked my way down to my left calf (4.) She told me to undress and left the room with me in it, hoping this modern day witch doctor could cure me of my ailments.

A day later my left leg looked like it was laid out into the sun like a strawberry popsicle. Holy crap she kicked my ass! She pummeled my leg like a seasoned octagon fighter placing my muscles into quiet submission, using a skipping rock shaped instrument to dig into the depths of my aching muscles and tendons. She kept saying "good boy" in broken english and for a moment of biting pain I pictured the confessions she could get out of people during such pleasant torture.

The redness was said to dissipate and I ran two days later feeling a definite difference. The massage in combination with an IT Band strap that I ordered for my leg made my next long run so much smoother.

I'm Back!
20 miles next week


No comments:

Post a Comment